[Ansteorra] Good idea Let us share info

Susan Hill sueorintx at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 16 10:25:20 PDT 2006

"We ignore eyeglasses and obvious modern items like nylon tents. But we can
also take baby steps along the way and inspire others to become a little
more period."

I can't ignore this one, anymore. I've heard more than once, that eyeglasses
are not period. Yes, they are. They weren't particularly common, but they
did exist in period.

http://www.teagleoptometry.com/history.htm

I have seen other sources in print, as well, but this one is concise and
quick for everyone.

The following is taken directly from the www.sca.org website:

The avowed purpose of the SCA is the study and recreation of the European
Middle Ages, its crafts, sciences, arts, traditions, literature, etc. The
SCA "period" is defined to be Western civilization before 1600 AD,
concentrating on the Western European High Middle Ages. Under the aegis of
the SCA we study dance, calligraphy, martial arts, cooking, metalwork,
stained glass, costuming, literature... well, if they did it, somebody in
the SCA does it (Except die of the Plague!).
As you can probably guess, the thing that separates the SCA from a
Humanities 101 class is the active participation in the learning process. To
learn costuming, you design and build costumes. To learn SCA infantry
fighting, you make armor, weapons, shields, etc., and put them on and go
learn how it feels to wear them when somebody is swinging a (rattan) sword
at you. To learn brewing, you make (and sample!) your own wines, meads and
beers.

You will frequently hear a SCA person describe the SCA as recreating the
Middle Ages "as they ought to have been." In some ways this is true -- we
have few plagues, indoor plumbing, few peasants. In the dead of winter we
have other things to eat than King's venison, salt pork and dried tubers.
However, a better description is that we selectively recreate medieval
culture, choosing elements of the culture that interest and attract us.

Please note that it says we "selectively recreate." Nowhere does it say that
we are required to be period in all that we do, nor does it say in anyplace
that I can find, that we have to be as medieval as possible. This is a
RE-CREATION group, not a REINACTMENT group. We do NOT have to be completely
period. We are required only to make a reasonable attempt to do so.

Now the word Reasonable can be a problem, because it means many things to
many people, but for most of us, it means that we do the best we can with
the time and money we have. Some of us evolve more than others in our
abilities and resources, but according to what I read in the stuff I find at
SCA.org, none of us are really wrong unless we really flaunt our mundanity.
So long as we make an attempt to garb ourselves (whether the fabric is
period or not), cover our ice chests, etc, and keep our cell phones and
pagers on vibrate, or off, we are well within the contexts of our rights in
the SCA.

We cannot be 100% medieval. Our organization will not allow it. Allowances
are made for mundane safety and legal requirements. The very premise that we
are all nobles, albeit lesser ones to begin with, forbids authenticity. We
do not have a peasant or serving class to do our cooking, help dress us,
make our clothing, weave our cloth, haul our luggage, set up our campsites,
etc. For the lady who found offence with the use of a wheelchair or
motorized cart for a person with mobility issues, I say this.....Are you
willing to carry that person's sedan chair or litter. If not....shut your
trap!

People like that who are so worried about things like eyeglasses, wheel
chairs, an occasional cell phone ring, etc ruining the ambiance need to go
join a group such as Regia Anglorum who are much more strict in their
requirements of authenticity.

Cell phones can be a problem. I have needed to have immediate access to one
for emergency purposes before, for both incoming and outgoing calls, in
areas where they were not particularly welcome. Fortunately, nowadays, we
can use settings on them where we can receive calls without being terribly
disruptive by setting the ringers to vibrate, single beep, etc. If one must
have theirs on for emergency reasons, I would recommend using these settings
or just checking it often, then go talk to your caller away from the list
field, court, etc. If you carry a phone just as a convenience and get a
phone call from someone for just a social call...let your phone take a
message and call later or after the event.

Technology has its place at our events. I was extremely greatful for the
information that Caelin gave us at Warlord a year and a half ago regarding
incoming weather. He had been able to bring up radar imagery on his phone,
of a severe storm coming towards us and once I saw what was coming and how
fast, we were able to make the decision to vacate the archery range in a
quick and safe manner. We were given enough time to drop the pavilions, and
get everyone off the field to safety before the storm hit. A few years ago,
that would not have been possible. We would likely have waited on the field,
continuing with the activities until the storm was clearly worse than we had
hoped, and there would have been damage and possibly injuries. Weather
radios, and anything that keeps us apprised of severe weather is a boon in
my book, but it needs to be used discretely.

We cannot use horses in the same way that they might have been used in the
times we recreate, so we use golf carts and walkie talkies to make the
autocrat and event staff's jobs easier and safer. A bit jarring sometimes,
and sometimes I think that they could be used more judiciously and more
effort made to de-modernize them a bit. Families, however that use those
walkie talkies need to get the ones that don't make so much noise (that
godawful bleeping) or keep them away from court, etc. They are worse than
cell phones most of the time. There are better ways to keep track of your
kids, who shouldn't be left unattended anyway.

In our organization, we aspire to educate ourselves and others about life in
what is commonly called the Middle-ages. We do so within the constraints of
a modern society and within the constraints of our own organization. We are
supposed to be an inclusive group, not an exclusive one. With encouragement
and support, praise, gentle persuasion, and education, we can bring more
newcomers along to be long-term members. So long as they are making an
attempt at re-creating our time period, they are doing nothing wrong.

Being boorish, though period, (boors have existed throughout history) is not
right in any society...modern, medieval, ancient, etc. If you can't say
something nice, keep yer yap shut. If something offends your eyes, cover
your eyes or look the other way. That panne velvet gown that looks
so...so...yuck, just may be the best that the person wearing it could come
up with. At least they aren't wearing a chain maille bikini. If a gentleman
is wearing jeans, because he can't figure out braes and chausses or doesn't
have someone to sew for him, gently advise him that if he must wear jeans,
that there are other colors that are better than indigo and help him find
someone that can make the appropriate lower body gear. If you can't provide
a solution to the what you percieve is a problem in somebody's garb or gear,
you probably should leave it alone.

Our organization was created to embrace the chivalric virtues. Somebody
decided that courtliness
was cool. Courtesy is one of those virtues. Be mindful of your words and
actions. The golden rule appliles to all of us, peer and non-peer. Do unto
others as you would have them do unto you. If you wouldn't appreciate
someone telling you that your attire isn't period (whether or not it could
possibly happen)....don't say it to someone else, and pretend that every
newcomer is a king or queen. If you wouldn't talk to the Crown that way, for
God's sake, don't talk to a newcomer or stranger that way. It just may be
that that stranger is a visiting Crown who wasn't intending to go to the
event and borrowed garb from someone. Foot in mouth disease is period, but
we don't need to recreate it.

In service to Ansteorra and the Dream,

Lady Lyneya de Grey