[Ansteorra] period on a budget

Hdec333 at aol.com Hdec333 at aol.com
Tue Sep 19 06:46:13 PDT 2006

In a message dated 9/19/06 8:16:50 AM Central Daylight Time,
silvina at allegiance.tv writes:

> One thing we do is when our household buys cloth for our own garb, we tend
> to buy an extra yard or two to make garb for newbies we're helping get
> started.

What an excellent idea! May I "filch" it?
<g>
Also if I might add my two pence to the period/non period debate, honestly
folks, we do this to appear as period as we possibly can. The word "appear"
being the operative word. I love to attempt as period as possible given the
circumstances of my surroundings such as a downpour..no velvet Tudors then...I bring
out the t-tunic and possibly jeans until things dry out..etc. Also
soap,deoderant and baby powder are my friends..lol..I'd like to think others appreciate
this too.
I guess what I'm trying to say here is that most of us begin this game not
really knowing what period looks like and how to get there. Jumping on someone
with a mob mentality is wrong and downright rude. The only lesson learned is
that we can be a bunch of elitist snobs..what a way to welcome newcomers! I am
sure someone mentioned this all ready but taking M'Lord/M'Lady gently in hand
and admiring their attempt then suggesting how they may even better fit in next
time..perhaps offering a brief sewing lesson or organizing a group material
scavenger hunt to the local fabric stores hopefully will sound like fun and
will tend to make them feel included and part of this adventure we call the
Society for Creative Anachronism.
Thank you for allowing me to express my opinion,
In Service to my Kingdom and the Dream,
Mistress Anna Mitrofanova
Bonwicke