[Ansteorra] period on a budget

Dave Wise drwise at houston.rr.com
Tue Sep 19 08:11:06 PDT 2006

Hi John,

I would suggest that the most crucial step towards getting more
authentic is free.  The biggest issue for most folks is the lack of
information.  This applies almost across the board.  First, it is a
matter of finding out what designs are correct, second finding out what
materials are correct, third what resources are available and fourth
learning good technique for putting it all together.  The good news is
that there is an ever growing set of resources for getting informed.
Let me give a couple of examples:

Armor:
There is a huge difference between armor and 'armor like objects'.  The
unfortunate part is that it takes almost as much work to produce the
latter, as it does the former.  As stated above, the first step is to
inform yourself as to what 'authentic' armor is all about.  First, look
to any local folks who are experienced in the areas you are interested
in.  Invariably, they are happy to share their knowledge.  Next, you can
look to the web where you can check museum sites.  Another excellent
online source is armor discussion boards such as the Armour Archive
<http://www.armourarchive.org/>, where there are a ton of discussion
lists relating to design, construction and patterns, as well as
recommendations for suppliers for parts and materials.  The discussions
on the board address what materials can be used, including advantages
and disadvantages of each, including their relative authenticity.
Elsewhere on the boards are sources for materials.  If you are looking
for something specific, all you have to do is ask and you'll usually get
a bunch of suggestions.  On that same site there is also discussion of
techniques, as well as patterns to get you started.  Finally, it also
serves as a sounding board, since people post their works in progress
and get feedback and suggestions on how to improve the pieces.  All of
that information is free for the asking, you just need to take the time
to inform yourself.  You can also inquire as to the availability of more
local resources such as armorers in your area that might be able to help
out with things like fitting the patterns to you, as well as providing
shop time to be able to work on your projects.  Most armorers that I
know of are happy to help someone get started, with maybe only a little
sweat equity in return.  For someone getting started you would probably
want to purchase your first helm, but there are a bunch of sources for
one at a pretty modest price (but be sure to ask before buying on the
Armour Archive to see if people have had problems with a particular
source).  The other pieces can be made with pretty basic tools and some
really cheap supplies.  If you don't know what time period you want to
be, there is a whole section devoted to describing what goes into
portraying a variety of styles.  Not counting the helm, the actual
material costs for putting together most basic armours is probably under
$150.00 (often way under this with a little creativity).  The price goes
up when you start buying pieces because you are paying for someone's
time, skill and/or their shop.  From experience it is much easier to
help someone get their kit together when they have done their homework
and have an idea as to what they want rather than the person who walks
in and says 'I need some armor'.  Now, if they say 'I want a full
Maxmillian harness, circa 1520', I would most likely encourage them to
start with something more modest.  The first reason is that it lets them
start fighting sooner, the second reason is that the first suit of armor
also helps inform them of what they want to design into their 'ultimate'
suit.  But, either way, for almost any time period there is 'munition'
armor that can be put together for a modest cost.

Clothing
Again, in my experience the biggest step to getting more authentic is
knowledge.  To give an example, I'm getting ready to head over for the
Hastings reenactment.  The kit requirements are much more specific than
what we normally expect for SCA events.  So, that usually means linen
and wool.  A quick trip to Fabric-store.com has a variety of linen
<http://www.fabrics-store.com/first.php?goto=showarticles&menu=f&article=1>
for around $5-$6/yd.  If it is wool you are after, try
Fashionfabricsclub.com
<http://www.fashionfabricsclub.com/catalog_items.aspx?Query=Worsted%20Wool%20Fabric>
where they have a bunch of wools for $10/yd or less.  Or, try a
silk/linen
<http://www.fashionfabricsclub.com/catalog_itemdetail.aspx?ItmID=071B>
blend for $5/yd.  Now as for design and technique information, there are
any number of groups that are happy to share their research about what
is 'correct' or not (at least in their opinion, since sometimes they are
a bit arbitrary ;-) ).  For viking era, try starting with Vikings Uk
<http://www.vikingsonline.org.uk/>.  They have put out 'kit guides
<http://www.vikingsonline.org.uk/resources/authenticity/basickit/index.htm>'
based on their research that includes information about materials,
colors, designs and construction techniques.  Now, let me be clear, I'm
not suggesting that everyone run out and mug the local sheep and start
spinning your own wool.  While I appreciate authenticity, I use a sewing
machine on store bought fabric and am happy to go for a 10 foot rule.
It just surprises me sometimes when I see someone spend hours and hours
hand sewing something based on a 'generic medieval-ish' design out of a
polyester fabric, when they could have gotten a better fabric for a
couple of dollars more (or sometimes even less if they did some looking
around).

I think if you do some looking around, it isn't as hard as it might
appear to become more authentic.  As for 'authenticity police', a butt
head is a butt head, 'authenticity' is just their way of showing off.
Some folks enjoy learning about what was done, if for no other reason
because it often works better than some of our modern versions.  So try
not to be put off by of the process of becoming more authentic, it can
actually be pretty interesting.

With regards,
Alexis