[Ansteorra] Walkie-Talkiers and Cell Phones (and cameras!)

dietrich.strobelbart at yahoo.com dietrich.strobelbart at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 19 10:19:12 PDT 2006

How were communications handled in period?  Runners and heralds, of course!  Would they have used the convenience of instant communications if they had had it available to them?  I suspect the answer to that would be a resounding YES!  If we are re-creating the period as it should have been, should we not use what they would have used if it had been available?  OK, OK, that logic leads inevitably to not playing the game at all.  Is your garb sewn by hand, or on a machine?  Is your armor steel, or plastic?  Do you like your food fresh, or half-rotten?  Are we going to use Porta-potties, or just dig a hole in the ground?  The point I'm trying to make is that we have to make some concessions along the way both to convenience AND to "periodness".  I suggest we all use common courtesy with our modern conveniences and do our best to disguise them as much as possible.  Set the cell phones on vibrate or quiet mode, please.   That way we can at least attempt to have the best of both
 worlds.  Perhaps we could set up a few private areas around the event site with well disguised sound barriers so that people who need to return calls could do so in private? Snubbery enclosures, perhaps?  Tents?

It strikes me there is another modern convenience which intrudes into our ambiance that no mention has yet been made of.  I speak, of course, of the camera, especially when it is used with a flash.  That is one item that is definitely NOT period, yet no one seems to think twice about popping off multiple shots during important activities, including court.  Have we all become so inured to this modern contrivance that we don't even notice its effect on the ambiance we are trying to achieve?  (For those of you who know me, yes, I am as guilty as anyone about using my camera at events, I am just trying to make a point here!)  Does anyone have any notions about how to disguise a camera?  Perhaps a silken  scarf with holes in appropriate locations?  A wooden box with similar holes?  Your thoughts would be welcomed!  And, by the way, what ARE we to do about that most recent of modern innovations, the dreaded Camera-Phone!?!?  :-)  (Guilty!  Again!)

Let me conclude by making my position clear:  we need modern conveniences, but, should do our best to disguise them in a way that will minimize their intrusion into the ambiance of the event.

Yours in Service,
Herr Dietrich Strobelbart