[Ansteorra] period on a budget

Susan Hill sueorintx at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 19 16:02:56 PDT 2006

John,

You have gotten some excellent advice here, but if I may remind you and
everyone else again...so long as you have made a reasonable attempt at being
'period' whatever period you have chosen, you are doing fine.

I don't know where you are located, but here in the DFW metroplex, the
fabric mecca is Perth Street, a little block in a half cul-de-sac with
several wholesale/retail fabric outlets on it. It is off of Harry Hines Blvd
near Inwood, I believe. Just a block or so further south on Harry Hines is
Golden d'Or Fabrics. This is where I shop for most of my silks (they have
fabrics other than dupioni) and they have luscious wools, though these are
still fairly expensive.

Linens and Linen blends (usually linen/cotton, and linen/rayon) are
frequently available at several of the stores on Perth Street for prices
from $2 per yard to $7 per yard. Most are in the $4-$5 range. I have bought
some wools (usually jersey, which some people will fuss about being period,
but it is still wool and drapes beautifully. It is just like a plain wool
weave, but the threads are twisted) for $5 a yard in a couple of the stores.
You won't need much wool in TX, but it's nice to have from time to time, or
if you travel much. I made my lord a wool overtunic for gulf wars this last
year and he spent a lot of time in it.

I would rather see someone slowly build their kit around a few good pieces
of garb than try to spend a lot of money on poor fabric and stuff that looks
like a lot of the pieces we see in ren faires and movies and wish we didn't.
Make yourself a simple T tunic or two out of good fabric, and make a belt
out of cording or something along that line until you can afford a good
leather one. As far as shoes go....these are the last things to worry about.
Unless you can afford to spend what it takes on good turnshoes, boots, or
learning to make your own, wear what you are comfortable with. There are a
lot of lovely period gowns that cover tennis shoes because lots of people
have orthopedic issues that make period shoes difficult to wear.

I have spent a large part of my adult life in birkenstocks. At my first
event, I was wearing a pair of Birkenstock "Bostons" of black smooth
leather. A lovely gentleman (who did make shoes) told me that the style of
shoe I was wearing was not that far from some period designs. So long as you
don't have some huge welting on the top of the shoe, you will be ok. smooth
surfaces are best. As far as the moccasins. Yeah, lots of us wear them. It's
best if you cut off the fringe, but if you can wear them, they are fine.
When you have played for a while, and are sure of the period you are going
to stick with, invest in a pair of shoes that will meet your needs.

It sounds like you are off to a good start....and if you run into a period
nazi....send 'em to me...or any number of good people around here that
aren't afraid to tell someone to remember this is just a game.

Cheers!

Lyneya de Grey