[Ansteorra] period on a budgetMaybe not broadcloth

L T ldeerslayer at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 20 01:01:04 PDT 2006

Your Grace,

I suggested 100% cotton broadcloth as a inexpensive, easily availible material
that I know has a broad range of colours for someone who wants to
make their first several sets of clothes...

and since linen and silk also wrinkle like mad...
I just figure wrinkles are period...
they usually mostly fall out within the first hour of wear...

I still use cotton broadcloth on occaision. I've got two apron dresses that I've made for warm weather out of it because I got into a fix where I needed certain
colours and didn't have time to find the right shades of linen...cause
sometimes you just can't find the right colour of linen...

I wore both of them for the Viking Invaision last year...and didn't get
called down by the authenticity officer...so...? Heck I even got to
play a noble and sit at the head table.

I think that it is best to stay to solid colours (jewel tones)  till someone gets a grasp of what kind of weaves and textures and patterns are period.

Broadcloth is just a tabby weave. I would imagine that it's less fine than
tabby woven silk. It is abit on the light side and I would suggest if someone
is making something that drapes (like a houppelande) or a dress with cartridge
pleating that they choose something a bit heavier.

I've seen wool fabric (summer weight suit fabric) in textures almost as fine...I've felt wool that because of the way the fibers were spun (all the fibers pointing in the same direction) that it was hard to tell it from a similar weave and weight of silk. In fact I've got a Max Mara rain coat that people think is silk.

I've also read several sources from experts about the viking era that they had
very fine wool in the 800's but for some reason in the 900's the cloth was
less fine.

I would also suggest that people not use trim till they get a grasp on
what kind of trim would be appropriate for the time period of their clothes.
If they do want to trim...I would suggest using a different colour of the
same cloth...or for easy-schmeazy...use single-fold seam tape...

I agree that for most times and areas in Western Europe that
the colour was one of those things that marked wealth and that
they also used strong contrasting colours. I have in mind a parti-coloured
tunic from medieval spain that was half orange and half green/gold lozengy
or maybe it was the reverse.

I do remember seeing a number of paintings that had pastel clothing
in the reniassance. Particularly in the Italian provinces.

One of my first "real" attempts at period was a pastel blue dress that was taken straight off a painting from in period. I didn't understand construction then...but I made it pastel blue just like the painting. I trimmed it in silver. The orginal was
trimmed in gold and lined in a light mustard colour.

Many peoples had a thing for black...many protestants wore black as a sign of
protesting excess of the catholic church (this was after Luther of course) you
see it in the paintings commissioned by the growing middle-class of merchants
in the 1500's.The Spanish during the Spanish reniasance also seemed to have a love affair with black.

I do agree that it is best to go to a good fabric store and look at and touch
the silks and wools and linens they have there.

What I've found is that many people learn best by small steps and by
feeding them a little information at a time. If we give them too much at
once it overloads them and they get confused and frustrated and many
just stop.

With respect and love

L Deerslayer

"willowdewisp at juno.com" <willowdewisp at juno.com> wrote: I don't want to be pushy but broadcloth is not necessary the best choice. Cotton is period. A Viking made a stir in Paris in the 900 wearing a multi colored cape of cotton. We have period bestiaries showing pictures of the little sheep growing off the cotton plant. But I wonder about the fineness and tightness of weave of Broad clothe. If you are over at Wal Mart go look at the one dollar and two dollar Poly cottons. 100% cotton will wrinkle and the Poly-cotton won't. We don't want to use !00% poly because it is too hot. It doesn't breath. Poly-cotton breaths and keeps its color. Often you can find interesting textures in the one and two dollar bins, Look for bright colors. Contrast is period. You will find pastels and matching shading in period Japan, but most of Europe liked strong contrast. What is that story about Charlemagne wearing green red and blue? Stay away from too shiny fabric.. Go look at the real silks and
 then look for their match. If you want to know about a c
 olor go
 ask Mistress Stella. By the way we are studying what people in Middle Ages thought should of been. Read a period Romance and you will find some wonderful descriptions of clothes. If you believe what they wrote everyone had bright colors on. There are two things that really spotlights that you are new, Light pastel blue  and fading ill fitting  black clothing. Many newcomers first attempt to be period is blue cotton tunic. Most of us have a thing for black. If you are going to wear black makes sure it is really black and it is a good idea to put a contrast color with it and try to make the garment with shape.
Duchess Willow de Wisp