[Ansteorra] SPAM-LOW: Re: Walkie-Talkiers and Cell Phones

Richard Threlkeld rjt at softwareinnovation.com
Tue Sep 19 03:43:49 PDT 2006

I can tell you that some people would be seriously less well off today if
the Chirurgeons had not had radios when they had severe medical situations.

Also, I have run a Scout camp with over 1,000 people on site in two
different years. One was with four Scout runners who walked around with me
and the second a few years later was with a radio. I can tell you it was
more efficient and a *lot* safer the second time.

Third, we have been getting fewer and fewer volunteers to do most of the
jobs at events. This year at Gulf War, for instance, there were several
night shifts where *nobody* volunteered for Watch shifts. At Pennsic this
year, they shut down Public Safety at 6PM the first 4 nights due to lack of
volunteers. Radios make it possible for us to work with fewer volunteers and
still have a fun and safe event.

Caelin on Andrede