[Ansteorra] Garb authenticity...

Lori Campbell countesskat at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 20 10:37:42 PDT 2006

We should try to remember that we all play at different levels of
authenticity and exercise tolerance for people who haven't progressed
as far up the accuracy ladder. (note, I don't speak for myself here -
the only authentic garb I own is stuff others made for me).

The tendency of non-academically oriented newcomers (i.e. most of them)
is to start with good intentions and small pocketbooks. I know I did.
If there was a thistle for garb made with period patterns and
non-period material, I'd have it. :)

The way some of this discussion has gone, newcomers might get the idea
that we have authenticity nazis hiding behind every bush, just waiting
to rake newcomers over the coals.

That just isn't the case.  Occasionally our accuracy enthusiasts do
offer advice on garb, but hopefully they do it in such a way that the
recipient feels their efforts up to that point are respected.

The few who are... less than tactful... are very much the minority.  In
almost 20 years I've yet to meet even one (did I mention that I've worn
some horribly inaccurate garb?).

If you do happen to have an unfortunate run-in with someone who missed
the courtesy bus (or - more likely - someone with more enthusiasm about
period costuming than tact), please don't consider them representative
of our society.  For every one tale told of a newcomer being waylaid by
someone rude, there is likely to be at least a hundred others where one
was encouraged and led along a gentler path.  Or so I'd like to
believe.

- Kat MacLochlainn