[Ansteorra] Undergarments and stuff

Claude Anthony Penny cpenny at swbell.net
Wed Sep 20 12:47:04 PDT 2006

I know that Victorian panties were split in the crotch, so that one
didn't have to rearrange all of the layers, when one went to the
necessary.  I keep wondering if any underpants were used, for ladies and
small children, in much of period.  I could easily be convinced that a
lot of peasents didn't wear them at all, for most of period.  Has anyone
found documentation on period diapers?  I know that someone has said
that women used moss and rags, for the 'moon' times.
Some sort of slip or chemise is very reasonable.  It keeps the outer
clothes clean.
When I try to figure out what a period person might have done, I look,
first, at the time period.  Improvements in weaving technology decreased
the cost of fabric, thus allowing for more of it to be used.  The
spinning wheel was a big improvement over the distaff.  It allowed for
more commercialization of the fabric industy.  I also, try to consider
their lifestyle and how it would affect what they did.

Cairenn