[Ansteorra] period cotton

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Sep 20 22:00:47 PDT 2006

On Sep 20, 2006, at 1:35 PM, Marc Carlson wrote:
> lizdenpeters at juno.com wrote
>> things.  I wear cotton garb (I have been told many times that
>> cotton is not a
>> period material.) and will continue to do so
> .
> Whoever told you that either was mistake, or was misheard.  Cotton
> is totally period.  It was extremely rare and pretty pricey in
> Europe for most of the period (and actually stayed that way until
> the Industrial Revolution).  The term “fustion”, in English,
> referring to a cotton/flax (i.e. linen) blend, dates well into the
> 12th century.  The linen, it is my opinion, was used to stretch the
> amount of cotton.  Raw, unspun cotton was also shipped into Europe
> in increasing amounts, and even grown in southern Europe by the
> 14th century.  So, uncommon and rare? - yes.  Expensive? - yes.
> Not Period? - no.

I can second most of what Diarmaid says here. See these files in the
TEXTILE-ARTS section of the Florilegium:
cotton-art        (14K)  4/19/95    Article on cotton in the Middle
Ages.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/TEXTILES/cotton-art.html
cotton-msg        (10K) 10/22/99    Period cotton use.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/TEXTILES/cotton-msg.html

I was going to say I'd only heard of cotton being imported to Europe,
not grown here and ask for more details. However, in checking the
cotton-msg file above, the answer is likely in the book mentioned in
the first message:

See: Mazzaoui, Maureen Fennell, _The Italian Cotton Industry in the
Later
Middle Ages:1100-1600._

> I should mention that cotton has one spectacular side benefit –
> things you make in it don’t last as long as things made from wool
> and cotton, so your embarrassing earlier projects rarely hang
> around for a long time.

err, I think you mean "wool and linen". Linen and hemp do last much
better than cotton. In fact, canvas originally meant hemp. (cannabis/
canvas) There are files in the Florilegium on hemp, as well. I really
wanted to make my pavilion out of hemp cloth because of its
durability. Unfortunately, in part because of various policies in
Washington, D.C. hemp costs about $15/yard here compared to $5 for
cotton canvas, so a pavilion made out of hemp was out of my price range.

> “Wool is hot in the summer”
>
> Guess what?  So is cotton.  So is standing around naked.  Summer in
> Ansteorra is Hot.  Always has been, probably always will be.  And
> yes, I wear layers of wool and linen in the summer.

How can you manage to do this? Or does a layer of linen under the
wool actually make it cooler than using the wool alone? Even though
linen was seldom used for outer wear in period, in part because it
doesn't dye well, I've been using a single layer of modern,
petrochemical dyed linen for my summer tunics because it is a bit
cooler than cotton broadcloth. I'd like to find linen that was as
thin as the broadcloth though with the thinness of the broadcloth and
the open weave and breathability of the linen.

But maybe you have a secret with wool, that I've been unaware of?

> Marc/Diarmaid

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas