[Ansteorra] cotton in period

Maridonna maridonna at maridonna.com
Thu Sep 21 11:21:18 PDT 2006

mikea wrote:

> In addition, the Arabs introduced the cotton plant into Sicily, before
> 1100, according to what I've been able to find. Since all this is pre-
> cotton-gin, the fiber would have been separated from the seeds by hand,
> making the cloth more expensive then in terms of labor than it is now.

Hello!

Yes.  :)  The Arabs introduced cotton to Sicily (circa 827).  A
source says that the reasons why cotton spread throughout the
western Mediterranean between the 9th-12th centuries is because of
the popularity of cotton among Muslims and their advanced knowledge
of irrigation techniques. Cotton came to rival flax in Sicily.

The source I have says Fustians may have been imported to Sicily up
to the 13th century.  Fustian production was significant because
Sicily did not import the cloths, but there is no mention of what it
was made.  S. Epstein, "An Island for Itself", pp.182-190.
--
Andrea / Maridonna, who moved her persona to Sicily so she could
wear cotton.