[Ansteorra] The period threads...

j.t.herring j.t.herring at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 20 10:47:22 PDT 2006

Over all isn't what we are attempting to do is to create a level of
immersion into a romanticized medieval experience. The immersion should
occur for each of us based on his our her own person and not based on some
one else's efforts or ideas. Like a wise person once said to me...we make
our own fun. So long as people make an attempt at pre-17th century attire,
and are having fun attempting to recreate their ideal of a medieval
experience, and they are reaching the level of immersion they are
comfortable with we should all learn to be comfortable with that too.

To embrace the educational side of what we do if people want to help promote
a more historically accurate representation of the medieval experience then
they should research and teach new ideas and concepts for that allowing an
understanding that people will seek the level of recreation and immersion
they are comfortable and capable of. If teaching is not your style then be a
positive example and try to help others who ask for it by showing them.
People's ideas and understandings of what is period should never be forced
on some one else.

If people engage in conversations about period authenticity they should
expect many various ideas on the subject because any single persons idea of
period authenticity will be biased by their own ideas and experiences. .
Plus many hard core researchers will point out a lot of historical fact is
still based on conjecture and changes depending on our sources. As long as
we all play together and have a good time doing so isn't that what matters?

So I guess what I am trying to say is stay open minded, be kind, and
understanding, and do what you can to have a fun time attempting to pursue
the ideas of the SCA as you interpret them.

Kind regards,
Ian