[Ansteorra] First Event

Susan Hill sueorintx at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 22 19:08:30 PDT 2006

My first event was in An Tir, where I played for four short months before
moving to the Barony of the Steppes. It was their University of Ithra or
Grand Ithra that was held at Lewis and Clark College in Portland. My then
12-year old son and I attended two classes together that day, The History of
the SCA and Chivalry and Etiquette both taught by Sir Brand deux Leon, who
made a huge impression of both of us. Adam no longer felt uncomfortable in
his 'dress' (the T tunic I had made him) when he saw Sir Brand in a
luxurious Houppelande under which he wore a lovely cotehardie which he
stripped down to when the room became warm. In the afternoon I took a class
on trims and when I came out, I found Sir Brand teaching my son how to play
Shut the Box. I'm afraid that very knight I have met has been measured by
Sir Brand's gentlemanly qualities. Many have come close, but the only one I
have met that has equalled him is the one I have married. :)

My second real event was the May Crown Tournament that year in An Tir. I was
enthralled by the pagentry, awed by the costumes, wowed by the combat, and
amazed at all the goodies that the huge number of merchants had to offer.

When I came to Ansteorra, I attended a Business meeting for the Barony of
the Steppes in August. There I was made to feel welcome (which I never
really had felt in An Tir) and was warmly greeted with a huge hug and a kiss
from Baron Fritz. Other than Sir Brand, I had never been spoken to by a
noble that I am aware of in An Tir. I attended Steppes Artisan a couple of
weeks later and have been an active participant ever since. I don't know
that I will ever qualify as an old-timer, as I was in my middle 40's when I
began to play this game, but I married a man who has been playing for some
thirty years or very close to it.

Lyneya de Grey