[Ansteorra] What's happening here?

Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace sirlyonel at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 22 23:01:40 PDT 2006

Salut cozyns,

My first thought was that the poster is comparing apples to orchards. Ren
Faire's are a snapshot and a show. SCA events are ongoing interaction of the
people within, and there's no audience.

On the other hand, Milady Elizabeta, I think you have done many people on
this list a serious disservice. You say, "Yes, authenticity is nice, but
it's not something that everyone aspires to.  If you're in the SCA for the
cookies, then yes you'll want to be more authentic in your costume as well
as everything else, but that's not everyone's desire. "

Funny. I guess we just don't hang out with the same folks. I know armorers,
costumers, duelists, heralds, and brewers who aspire to authenticity for its
own sake. I consider Diarmaid a hardcore authenticity scholar, yet in recent
posts he has repeatedly pressed for an even hand in judging other's efforts.
I've also known some damned annoying award-seekers who never did more in the
authenticity area than just enough to get by.

You also, milady, say, "I'm seeing people telling others how they should
think, dress, act, and what they should do." Really? I do recall one or two
posters claiming to have been rudely handled by authenticity snobs, but I
don't recall anyone--on this list or at the few events I've attended
recently--telling anyone how to think, dress, or act. I've seen arguments
about what is and is not period. I've seen no one say, "Thou shalt not."
I've even seen a number of postings addressing the opposite end of this
question: how to help someone improve in authenticity *without* being rude
or insulting.

When did the SCA become political? Probably about the time that the first
kingdom was formed. When did the SCA become a litigious arena? Probably
about when their membership passed a thousand. If you think Ren Faires are
free of politics and litigation, then you haven't been involved with setting
one up, running one, or handling the books.

As for the claims that you've seen--

>groups torn
>apart because a choice was made that was not the one everyone wanted.  I'm
>seeing people hurting long time friends because of misunderstandings and
>unintended slights.  I'm seeing fits thrown over stuff that COULD cause a
>problem if someone wanted to push it, but are things that have always been
>done and until now have not caused offense.  I'm seeing politics out the
>ass, people arguing over stupid stuff and people asking for help being
>either blown off or overridden.

--I think you're trying to lump several problems under one ill-fitting
cover. Perhaps these issues would be better addressed individually and
specifically.

lo vostre per vos servir
Meser Lyonel Oliver Grace
Micel yfel deth se unwritere.