[Ansteorra] What's happening here?

Morgan Buchanan morganbuchanan at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 23 04:19:56 PDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lisa" <silvina at allegiance.tv>
To: "Kingdom of Ansteorra - SCA, Inc." <ansteorra at lists.ansteorra.org>
Sent: Friday, September 22, 2006 8:14 AM
Subject: Re: [Ansteorra] What's happening here?

> *snip*
>> okay I'll bite on this one. Because Ren Faire requires *NO* amount of
>> responsibility from the patrons other than a one-time large outlay of
> cash.
>>
> *snip*
>
> This would be accurate, but many of the people asking this question of me
> were individuals who were both SCA active and the paid entertainers for
> the
> Ren Faires.  They were enjoying themselves more being paid entertainers
> (not
> for the money, which isn't as good as everyone thinks) than they were at
> events or even their local group meetings and get togethers.  The reasons
> they cited are the same as the reasons I brought up.
> Elizabeta

Another huge advantage that Ren Fairs have over the SCA is that you don't
have to live with these people in your lives but 3-6 weekends a year, all at
once, and you get the rest of the year to de-compress.  :)

For a lot of people, it's not that anything is actually better, it's that
the change of pace makes it SEEM better.  But as has been stated, anytime
you involve another human being, you will get politics.  The SCA doesn't
have evey a micron of a corner on that market.

Morgan