[Ansteorra] history of SCA placenames

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Sep 25 08:46:51 PDT 2006

On Sep 25, 2006, at 8:55 AM, faolon wrote:
> Ok I actually have a question for anyone who remembers.
> See, when I first started out in the SCA Trelac had a different
> name and I was
> wondering if anyone new what the other name was?
> Now as I remember (and my memory is sometimes based on bad
> information.)
> the "active" shire was being disbanded for reasons I never quite
> knew, but
> people in the region still wanted a shire there and some moved to
> San Angelo
> and thus Trelac was born.
> Now at the time this was happening myself and a friend joined the
> SCA but mostly played
> seperately from the shire so the full story was never really
> brought to light.
>
> Can anyone help? This was around '88 or '89 time frame.
>
> Faolon

I don't think I have anything on this other shire. It took some
searching but this is what I found on Trelac, in the placenames-msg
file.

<<< From: larkin at webstar.net (Lord Larkin O'Kane)
To: ansteorra at Ansteorra.ORG
Subject: Re: ANST - group names
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 04:54:57 GMT

On Mon, 13 Oct 1997 21:21:37 -0500, joelight at lx.net (joelight) wrote:

 >After various and sundry Celtic type disasters, we decided on
Blacklake for
 >the obvious stuff under our feet.
 >Ulrica

Gee, and I thought our water supply was bad. . . at least it isn't
black (yet).  Oh!  You mean oil. . . .

Trelac's name is nothing misterious. We are a region that has three
lakes; Nasworthy, Twin Buttes, and O.C. Fisher.

Larkin  >>>

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas