[Ansteorra] history of SCA placenames - wne / why the second "r"

Chris Zakes dontivar at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 19:46:29 PDT 2006

At 01:10 PM 9/25/2006, you wrote:
> >Jay Yeates jyeates at realtime.net
> >speaking of the history "placemenames" ... some of us silverbacks were
> >discussing the old days at our weeekly communal dinner yesterday, and a
> >question came up ... exactly when/why did the kingdom name get the second
> >"r" tacked onto it ?????  our oldest documents (popular and official) that
> >we still hold use the origional spelling of "ansteora"
>
>I have been told that the change occured when the principality became a
>kingdom.
>
>(and I bet folks thought I just couldn't type :) )
>
>Marc/Diarmaid

The original name (when we first became a region of Atenveldt) was
Ansteorra. When Sir Sean became Prince, he decided to change the
spelling to Ansteora (and the name of the newsletter from "Black
Star" to "Sable Star".) Prince Randall changed it back to Ansteorra,
and there was a fair bit of joking that Prince Simonn would spell it
"Ansteorrra".

Just think, if we'd kept up that tradition we'd now live in
Ansteorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrra.

         -Tivar Moondragon