[Ansteorra] Love and recognition

Michael Silverhands silverhands at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 26 04:24:00 PDT 2006

On Sep 26, 2006, at 5:55 AM, Kelley Ross wrote:

> To me, no matter the motive, a person's donations to our society
> are worthy
> and cherished.  As long as the efforts made are to better our
> kingdom, no
> one should be scrutinized for the source of their motivation.
>
> Yours in Service and Song,
> Lady Angelique Le Woulfe

Lady Angelique,

You raise a pivotal point. Two, actually.

One: how can we determine someone's motives in the first place? We
can't, really. The last time I checked, none of us were very good
mind-readers. So how can we judge whether someone is "in it for love"
or "in it for the awards"? Well... we can't, unless they *tell* us
what their motivation is, or until we see what they do after they get
all the awards. (See below.)

Two: what difference does a person's motive make? Ah... here is the
"sticking point".

If a person is in it primarily for the recognition and the awards,
then once they have achieved all the awards there are (and there's a
pretty short list of them), they will presumably move on. True, it's
a short-term benefit to the society. But in the long term, the
society is not well served since they will move on just about the
time they have reached the point where they are most depended on and
could do the most good for others.

If a person is in it mainly for the self-fulfillment, then they will
continue to serve the society regardless of rewards. Tivar said,
"...I "maxed out" on awards over 25 years ago, but I still play
because I enjoy it...". In the long term, the society has been very
well served by Tivar and those like him. How many have benefited by
the work that he continues to do, the lessons that he continues to
teach, and the example that he continues to set?

So: short term, it doesn't make any difference. At any particular
weekend's event, whatever help you get is welcome. But long term, it
makes all the difference in the world.

Here's another way of looking at that: how effective would an army be
if everyone in it got out after 2 years? What if nobody stuck around
to learn how to teach or lead? What if the moment someone was given a
medal or promoted to officer rank, they got out?

Finally, this comes back to another frequent topic, "honor" versus
"glory". If you're in it for glory, your star will be bright but
short-lived. If you're in it for honor, your star will shine brightly
but from within -- and may, in fact, never be noticed by anyone but you.

Bottom line, we're *all* in this to serve ourselves and our own
needs, wants and desires. That's human nature. It's just that some
people see (or care about) only their own *immediate* interests...
while others see that their own interests are better served if the
society in which they live is thriving... and *that* only happens if
we give back as much as we get.

My two farthings.

Kind regards,
Michael Silverhands