[Ansteorra] Ansteorra Digest, Vol 5, Issue 90

nweders at mail.utexas.edu nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Sep 26 06:23:32 PDT 2006

>Bryn Gwlad was originally called Paiscumbre (no, I don't know what it
>means or why it was changed--that was before I lived here.)

         Paiscumbre was supposed to be French for Hill Country.  It was
started by Sir Andelion du Axegarth and Lady Augustina von Shugar and
comprised largely of students from the Greenbriar School.  Sadly, they both
because inactive in the area (one moved, one dropped out) and the group
fell into inactivity though people still lived here.  It reformed and
because more active when Vargskol started being around and I believe that's
when the name changed.  For a great while, it was filled with a variety of
interesting characters (Gwilym the Smith and his wife Dail, Brenda the
Potter, Robert Simon Fraser and Dupre Starfire to name a few.).

I had the great pleasure of visiting with the Barony of South Downs (in
Meridies) and some of their populace told me of the first event that ever
occurred in Ansteorra.  It was a weekend event near what is now
Shadowlands.  Duke Richard Roundpounder's group, the Shire of the Steppes
was just forming and it and the Barony of the Stargate were the two closest
groups that the Meridiens had to the Atenveldt group (this was back when
Atenveldt was from Arizona to Georgia, Florida, etc.) The South Downs folks
drove all the way here to attend the tourney the Steppes hosted.

The now Barony of the Steppes was originally started by Duke Richard
Roundpounder and his wife, Duchess La Rana the frog.  They had settled
there for work, I think.  Because Richard was a Duke, the King of Atenveldt
approved a Shire award (the Tread  of the Steppes) so that Richard could
give people awards.  He moved back but the Barony continued.  A separate
group also was formed in the Dallas area called the free city of
Mermenstadt, and for awhile there was a factional tiff in the Dallas area.
(there was no Elfsea at the time.)

Clare