[Ansteorra] Motivations (was: Love and recognition)

Lori Campbell countesskat at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 26 12:10:35 PDT 2006

> I just honestly don't believe in "selflessness"

Then it is fortunate for those of us who DO believe that your lack of
belief doesn’t mean it can’t exist. :)

If I put enough effort into it, I could probably dream up some kind of
positive benefit from most of my choices, but that isn’t the same as
being selfish or self-centered (which would require me to calculate the
positive rate of return before I did anything - and I'm far too lazy
for that).

I suppose it is true that some people don’t do anything without first
considering if there is any potential benefit for themselves.  I don’t
think it is fair to say that EVERYBODY does or that it is a bad thing.
I have, however, had the privilege of witnessing many, many selfless
acts from people in our game, and hearing stories of so many more.
Those people inspire me to do better in my own life.

> So is my selfishness which helps others better or worse than doing
> nothing?

FWIW, my office dictionary gives this definition for “selfless” =
giving or sharing in abundance and without hesitation; unselfish,
(unselfish = chivalrous, noble, altruistic, generous)

It gives this definition for “selfish” = thinking *only* of oneself,
narcissistic

I have to wonder if you would do all that you do if you were the ONLY
one who stood to benefit?  Or, to take it further, if you would do
something that would be of great benefit to you, but which would harm
those you care about?  If not, then perhaps selfish isn’t a good
descriptive for you.  It is fortunate that we don’t get to define
ourselves very often because I’m pretty sure most of the people you
know in the SCA wouldn’t use “selfish” to describe you either.  At
least, I haven’t noticed any piles of bloody corpses in your wake.

Kat M.