[Ansteorra] Odd question reguarding persona development

Chris Zakes dontivar at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 18:41:21 PDT 2006

At 07:09 PM 9/26/2006, you wrote:
>On Sep 26, 2006, at 4:25 PM, Susan wrote:
>
> > I was pondering persona earlier and wondering just how close one's
> > persona is to be to historic people?  In that manner that we are
> > presumed to be of the gentry (I can't remember the exact on this),
> > this
> > was a limited population in period-some times and places more so that
> > others..  Where is the line on presumptions of our relationships of
> > the
> > actual people who lived in period?  This has always confused me, it is
> > one of those paradoxes that I have never really been able to work
> > out to
> > a degree I am comfortable with.
> >
> > Looking forward to hearing thoughts about this topic and how different
> > people have worked these things out for themselves,
> > Susan the Curious
>
>You cannot claim to be someone who actually lived in period. You
>can't be Charlemagne or Joan of Arc or King Henry, but you can be one
>of Charlemangne's gardeners or King Henry's mistress.
>
>The assumption is that everyone is of gentle birth, however, that
>doesn't mean you can't play a serf, a peasant, a merchant or a
>tradesman if you wish. If you choose a lower class as that of your
>persona, it can set up some conflicts you have to work around. For
>instance, as a non-gentle, how do you handle getting an Award of
>Arms?

I recall a lady from Meridies, who was present at the Anvil War,
getting her Award of Arms. She, too, was a peasant, and when she
realized why they'd called her into Court, she ran off and hid in the
bathroom. His Majesty (Sir Francois, if I remember correctly)
promptly got up from his throne, strode to the back of the hall, held
open the bathroom door and had his herald read her scroll anyway.

         -Tivar Moondragon