[Ansteorra] Extra Rs and other naming oddities

Genie Barrett maggie.gene at justinanimator.com
Wed Sep 27 07:16:30 PDT 2006

At 09:15 AM 9/26/2006, you wrote:

>Atlantia and Trimaris are rational enough. Artemisia is the name of a plant
>indigenous to that region (although I remember some commenting herald or
>other arguing that it was "clearly" an attempt to sneak in a deistic
>reference).

Yep.  Artemisia Tridenta,  otherwise known as.....sagebrush.  They
have a lot of that up there.

Here's an excerpt from the web site.  Otherhill is, as indicated, in
Wyoming.  Loch Salann is Salt Lake, and Dragon's Rest was in Vernal,
Utah--straight east of Salt Lake.  (I sure love Google Maps)

http://www.artemisia.sca.org/artHistory1.PDF

The name of Artemisia was coined by Lord Garwood Cadburyinus as he and some
Otherhill citizens were returning from a Caerthan event. The King at
that time was
surprised to learn that there was life -- let alone SCA life -- in
Wyoming. So to give the
area an identity, the name of Artemisia was used to identify Wyoming. Artemisia
originates from the scientific name for sagebrush, artemisia
tridenta, and since it grows
everywhere in the region and rather identifies a wasteland, it seemed
the perfect name
for the area. The name has dignity and humor, it was serious, but not
too; typical
Artemisian spirit. Naturally, the autocrats of the first Artemisian
Games used it to title
the event. Later, both Loch Salann and Dragon's Rest came to identify
with the name.

And on a side note, I was translating a Chinese poem recently, and
the "grass/herb" they had used in the poem was specifically Artemisia.

Maggie
(you hit an interest of mine GRIN)