[Ansteorra] history of SCA placenames

Elisabeth B. Zakes kitharis at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 11:07:38 PDT 2006

On 9/27/06, vmarsh at twmarsh.net <vmarsh at twmarsh.net> wrote:
> Just tell them that we don't let a little thing like the Red River get in the way of our friendships!
>
> We are one Kingdom, made up of many parts.......
>
> Xene

This reminds me of a funny from some years back, when Tivar and I were
travelling a lot about the Known World, and the people at my office
knew that I was out of town many weekends. One came up to me and asked
if I was going out of the state that weekend, and I replied, "No, just
to Tulsa." The look on her face was priceless. I, of course, had no
idea that I'd said something odd.

I realised after a moment of watching her trying to fit "in state" and
"Tulsa" together that to me, Texas and Oklahoma are all one unit
called Ansteorra. Not until I cross the border into Calontir, Glenn
Abhann, or the Outlands do I feel I've "left home". I don't think of
Tulsa as "in Texas"; I see it as "in Ansteorra", just like Bryn Gwlad
is. My geography teachers must be frowning at me right now. LOL

Aethelyan Moondragon
Bryn Gwlad