[Ansteorra] Motivations and altruism.

Marc Carlson marccarlson20 at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 27 19:07:29 PDT 2006

I've been giving this one a lot of though.   I'm as cynical as the next guy
– no, who am I trying to kid, I'm WAY more cynical than most people :)
OTOH, since I can't actually read everyone's mind, I can't really rule out
the possibility that altruism isn't a possibility in some cases.

What I think is most probable is that altruism and pure selflessness are
goals, not something that most of us are already equipped to do.   I'm
certainly not.  More importantly, if people continue to practice those
habits of selflessness, it becomes more likely that they will continue to
act that way, even when they aren’t thinking about some gain.

Marc/Diarmaid