[Ansteorra] Speaking of SCA history and personnas in one breath...

Ruh ruhkeddi at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 27 20:40:02 PDT 2006

I have this wonderful memory of the late Ragnar from Bjornsborg that I hope you don't mind me sharing.  Back in the early '90s I was known as Aislynn Bertrande and was married to an Air Force Sergeant.  We spent most of our time with Baron Kazamir and Baroness Cathlin, who I've heard no longer play, learning about light weapons and such.

My husband at the time got transferred to Turkey and I was left behind for a couple of months until he could get base housing.  We decided that it was a perfect excuse for a small revel based around a marriage by proxy, because no single young lady would traipse across the world to join a man she wasn't married to, and besides, we wanted mead.

A gentleman from Bryn Gwalad (I know I butchered that) filled in as the proxy groom and a small portion of the rapier group attended.  And Ragnar stood in as the priest.  The ceremony and meal that followed were lovely but the thing I remember most was what happened later.  There we all were in our Elizabethan and Italian finery sitting on the floor like a bunch of children while Ragnar sat in a chair in front of the fireplace and regaled us with Viking stories and jokes.  He was enthralling.  The man held court in that room and it has stuck in my head ever since.  I wish there were pictures.

Lady Edith Grey

"Sometimes you have to claw your way into the light instead of just standing there letting it shine."
Pledges - Amireal