[Ansteorra] An oath, upon the eve of St Michael's feast day

Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace sirlyonel at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 28 15:16:25 PDT 2006

Salut cozyns,

I beg you bear witness to my oath.

Tomorrow is the 29th day of September, the feast day of St. Michael the
Archangel. This fact might hold little value for many of you, but as my arms
attest, angels hold a special place in my heart. Thus, for me tomorrow is a
most important feast day.

Like many others receiving this missive, I have been preparing my equipment
and steeling myself for Bjornsborg's Legacy of Lions. Among other
preparations, I forwarded my letter of intent to Their Excellencies, Godwyn
and Radegund. To better express my commitment to proving my worth to my lady
by striving for Legacy honors, I delivered my letter in a form my ancestors
would approve: as a canso. I have repeated that canso in this letter.

If you read nothing else of my poor song, I beg you please to note the third
cobla, which is my oath.

So pleased am I by autumn light,
That as the leaves turn I must sing,
Not harvest wealths nor geese in flight,
Call out to me and light heart bring.
'Tis the crack of batons,
The stately pas of swordsmen two,
Brave crests with maces biting through.
'Tis the hue of pennons,
Of gules and or and azure hue,
For Radegund's delighted view.

Here now where once did Prides unite
My lady's praises I shall bring,
And for that fair--Lucia hight--
Cause shield to clash and sword to ring.
Love's eyes ablaze like suns
Shall show my actions good and true
As deeds of valor I pursue.
Love bitter acts does shun,
So all foul oaths must I eschew
While Love's pure gaze my deeds pursue.

And so, bold Godwyn, hear my plight;
As witness hear my summoning:
Saint Michael's day begins my rite
Of forbearance from these fine things:
Knight's chain I swear upon,
All beasts' of field meat I'll eschew,
And vintage drink and every brew.
And I will gamble none,
Until at Legacy I woo
Lucia for whose heart I sue.

By grace of my fair one,
Whose arts will this poor knight endue,
Entry for honors to pursue,
Hear my intent, Baron.
Grant, Baroness, this boon undue,
Proud Bjornsborg's lists entrée into.

Bold Ragnar Ulfgarsson
Of lion's heart and voice so true
Showed us the way of chosen few,
I would compete, Baron,
With sword and mace, with steel and thew,
For Love: that is what heroes do.

Merces, mes cozyns. I hope to see all of you at Legacy of Lions in
Bjornsborg.

lo vostre per vos servir
En Lyonel