[Ansteorra] Telling someone that what they are doing is not period

elizabeth at crouchet.com elizabeth at crouchet.com
Wed Sep 13 14:44:54 PDT 2006

By our own rules they are only required to make an attempt at proper clothing.

It may be in our best interest and theirs to try to find out if they care if it is correct or do they want to learn to care, first?
Of course this also needs to be done in a way that would not hurt their feelings or their pride.

Always rember to leave the other person their pride, even if they are wrong or just haven't gotten it, yet. I am still trying to get it
on several levels and I've been here a while.

When I learn how to do something better or more correctly I try to encourage others to strive for the same by sharing my
enthusiasms and my trials and tribulations and my elation over progressing in my own studies.

This can be infectous and inspire others without directly commenting on their stuff. But it may leave the door open for that
discussion to begin. But do remember to praise what is correct, like beautiful beadwork, even if it is on double knit this time.
Praise the skill, the attempt and the lessons learned and help to steer the next project in a more period direction.

I have often found that in the end the more period way has turned out to be easier, cheaper, more comfortable. All good things.
Those guys weren't stupid. Even if you don't care about "correct", easier, cheaper and comfortable are always welcome.

Some people don't care and never will and we need to learn to live with that as well. It is very period for some to not be as
fashionable nor as couth as others and sometimes politics wouldn't let you treat them so! Remember the Emperor's New
Clothes?

This is a constant question and a constant quest in our Society and it is good to rethink it now and again.

Thank you Your Grace for starting a discussion on our own graces again.

Baroness Claire Shayhan