[Ansteorra] Telling someone that what they are doing is not period

Claude Anthony Penny cpenny at swbell.net
Thu Sep 14 15:02:26 PDT 2006

There have been some great ideas already posted.  One of the things that
I see, is that everyone has a different idea of 'how period' they want
to play the game.  Someone might have little concern for how 'correct
their garb is, but, would not think about cooking a non-period feast,
for example.  Also, each person's ability to be 'period' is a problem.
Someone, with small children, may give in to the whines of a little girl
wanting her Barbie doll, with her at an event.  Others, may feel that
they can't afford period type items.  Merchants have a hard time not
mentioning modern things, and by the way, haggling is not period (for
most of Europe).

I also think that the way we decide some things are OK and others not,
is VERY confusing to newcomers. Director's chairs and nylon tents are
OK, but drinking a soda from a can isn't. No wonder they get confused.
Maybe, we all need to do a better job of explaining why there are
differences.  It easy to put too much emphasis on being period.  This
can be discouraging to many of us.  I will use myself, as an example
here.  Several years ago, I started researching period garb construction
techniques.  I bought more period fabric, even cut a couple of items out
(I even made a couple), but, I found that I just didn't have the extra
time.  Most of them are waiting for me to get to them.  Most of the
garb, that I'm wearing now, is dated to before this research.  I made
costuming, too much of a chore, instead of fun.  Thus, I took part of
the fun out of the SCA.
My suggestions, share ways of being more period, especially those that
are cheap and easy, like picking up a nice Edom cheese, in wax,  at Wal
Mart, for lunch.  Encourage, encourage, but never say things in a way
that someone could consider a 'putdown'.  Many of those attracted to the
SCA, are very unsure of theirselves, so they get offended easily.
I have managed to give newcomers the idea that I was part of the 'period
police'.  Those who know me get a good laugh from that!

Cairenn