[Ansteorra] More on "period"

Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace sirlyonel at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 15 12:43:18 PDT 2006

Salut cozyns,

His Excellency's rant reminds me of another aspect of re-enactment that I've
not seen mentioned. We need to ask ourselves the question, "Is this a good
idea?"

Laszlo made the point of Don Maelgwyn's approach to convincing others to try
period methods. I've seen others (Earl Brion, Sir Alexis, and Sir Gaston, to
name a few) who also teach by example. When these gentles demonstrate a
period method for doing something, they are actually showing several things
at once:

1) What an appropriate re-enactment looks like (frequently shaming the
faux-period re-creations around them)

2) That they can be done without breaking either the bank or one's back

3) That many of rediscovered Medieval and Renaissance techniques are just as
effective (occasionally more so) than our modern attempts to mimic them.

Sir Alexis's tempered fine gauge steel armor and Don Maelgwyn's coeur
bouille armor are great examples.

On the other hand, I've hand-sewn garb, and I'm not planning to go back to
that. Of course, I was using stainless steel needles and cutting the cloth
with hinged scissors, so maybe that was the source of my trouble (as if).

Ultimately, I think being authentic in one's re-creation efforts has to end
at a point of diminishing returns. It's rather like cooking from scratch. I
make pancakes, crepe, sauces, vinaigrettes, marinades, and soufflees from
scratch, but what constitutes "scratch" for me might be taking shortcuts to
some. I make my own Hollandaise, for example, because it's quick and mine is
much better than the prepared crap in the stores. On the other hand, I've
never mixed my own mustard. Grey Poupon works quite well in my sauces, so
why put in the extra time to work out the proportions and whip out the lumps
when what I want is right there on the shelf?

Similarly, I have yet to meet the armorer who makes all his own sheet metal
from the pigs.

lo vostre per vos servir
Meser Lyonel
Micel yfel deth se unwritere.