[Ansteorra] Things we do that are not period

Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace sirlyonel at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 15 23:22:00 PDT 2006

Salut cozyns,

I disagree with your handlers. "OK" is just the latest colloquial short
affirmative. Ben, d'accord, bastante bien, bene, yup, right, all right, und
so weiter. I'm okay with okay. As far as I'm concerned, OK is no worse than
any of the other Twenty-First Century English I hear at events from would be
10th Century Norseman or Siecle Quatorze Francais. For quotidien matters,
most of us simply have neither the time nor the inclination to faithfully
reproduce the Babel of languages that would be necessary to re-enact all the
times and places we're supposedly re-enacting.

Now, I'll admit that I find some words a bit grating: cool, dude, dis, and
so on. I've come to accept, however, that if it's part of your everyday
speech and you're not engaged in heraldry or a court presentation, you're
probably not going to notice that you slip them in.

lo vostre per vos servir
Meser Lyonel
Micel yfel deth se unwritere.
		--AElfric of York