[Ansteorra] Eyeglasses & period (was Good idea Let us share info)

Marc Carlson marccarlson20 at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 16 22:20:47 PDT 2006

>From: "Susan Hill" <sueorintx at hotmail.com>
>"We ignore eyeglasses and obvious modern items like nylon tents. But we can
>also take baby steps along the way and inspire others to become a little
>more period."
>
>I can't ignore this one, anymore. I've heard more than once, that
>eyeglasses
>are not period. Yes, they are. They weren't particularly common, but they
>did exist in period.
>
>http://www.teagleoptometry.com/history.htm

Certainly modern eyeglass styles are not period.

I should also note that the earliest spectacles were those for far sighted
people and people with presbyopia.  We nearsighted few had to wait until the
16th century, so while they *are* period, they aren't period for people who
dress early.

Marc/Diarmaid