[Ansteorra] Eyeglasses & period (was Good idea Let us share info)

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Sep 16 23:18:50 PDT 2006

On Sep 17, 2006, at 12:20 AM, Marc Carlson wrote:

>> From: "Susan Hill" <sueorintx at hotmail.com>
>> "We ignore eyeglasses and obvious modern items like nylon tents.
>> But we can
>> also take baby steps along the way and inspire others to become a
>> little
>> more period."
>>
>> I can't ignore this one, anymore. I've heard more than once, that
>> eyeglasses
>> are not period. Yes, they are. They weren't particularly common,
>> but they
>> did exist in period.
>>
>> http://www.teagleoptometry.com/history.htm
>
> Certainly modern eyeglass styles are not period.
>
> I should also note that the earliest spectacles were those for far
> sighted
> people and people with presbyopia.  We nearsighted few had to wait
> until the
> 16th century, so while they *are* period, they aren't period for
> people who
> dress early.
>
> Marc/Diarmaid

More info on period eyeglasses.
15C-Eyeglsses-art (10K)  4/14/02    "Eyeglasses and Concave Lenses in
15th C.
                                        Florence and Milan" by Lord
Anton de Stoc
http://www.florilegium.org/files/DISABILITIES/15C-Eyeglsses-art.html
eyeglasses-msg    (78K)  4/16/05    Period eyewear. Making replicas.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/DISABILITIES/eyeglasses-msg.html

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas