[Ansteorra] Haggling is not period?

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 18 10:06:26 PDT 2006

Cairenn said:
<<
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 22:56:05 -0500
From: Claude Anthony Penny <cpenny at swbell.net>
Subject: Re: [Ansteorra] Haggling is not period?
To: "Kingdom of Ansteorra - SCA, Inc." <ansteorra at lists.ansteorra.org>

<snip>  I found out that the
merchants were probably the most modern group, in period.  They educated
their children, including the girls! (in fact they can be credited with
starting the first non Church schools), organized a type of postal
system, and started many modern banking ideas, including branch banking,
letters of credit and even a type of options trading.  There were  even
merchants that just bought and resold items.

If anyone is interested, I will try to work up a paper with more info.
<snip>
Cairenn

I think a class on the period merchant class and some of the advents in business and education
that came from them, would be a facinating one.  We have all be taught in history that the
growing, educated merchant class was the beginning of a middle-class in most of Europe.

If you done enough additional research, you could look at a research paper for A&S presentation or
a Tournaments Illuminated article, and if more research to contribute to the subject, perhaps even
a Creative Anachronist booklet on the subject.  Enlighten us all.

BTW- while this 'Noble' person challenged your plans for a culture camp, the one good thing out of
it is you took up the challenge, if you will, and did further research on the subject that you can
now share with others to demystify possible errant comments.

I look forward to reading what you share with us all,
Cheers, Hillary