[Ansteorra] period on a budget

Lisa silvina at allegiance.tv
Tue Sep 19 08:14:35 PDT 2006

You're more than welcome to "filch" the idea of buying extra material to
assist newbies with garb.  What we tend to do is teach them the basic
t-tunic or t-dress, a simple breeks pattern, and advise them to use this
basic garb for their first few events until they get an idea of what time
period and style they prefer.  Once they figure out what persona they want,
we then assist them if it's an area we know, or direct them to people who
are more knowledgable in the style of garb they want.  I agree with using
cotton, linen, etc, natural fabrics if possible, for breathability if
nothing else.

Thrift shops and second hand shops are great for getting quality materials
for next to nothing, but you have to be selective and know what you're
looking for.  An old brocade curtain can easily become a great
bodice/doublet, maybe even a skirt if there's enough.  I also agree with
bartering services or talents when possible.  I also agree that cheap
replicas tend to look... well, cheap.  You tend to get what you pay for.

Elizabeta