[Ansteorra] cameras and camera disguises

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Sep 19 10:51:22 PDT 2006

  Herr Dietrich Strobelbart wrote:
> It strikes me there is another modern convenience which intrudes
> into our ambiance that no mention has yet been made of.  I speak,
> of course, of the camera, especially when it is used with a flash.
> That is one item that is definitely NOT period, yet no one seems to
> think twice about popping off multiple shots during important
> activities, including court.

While the flash is not period, the camera is. Or at least a similar
concept. It wasn't something you could carry around with you, though.
p-cameras-msg     (12K) 10/28/05    Notes on period camera obscura.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/UNCAT/p-cameras-msg.html

> Have we all become so inured to this modern contrivance that we
> don't even notice its effect on the ambiance we are trying to
> achieve?  (For those of you who know me, yes, I am as guilty as
> anyone about using my camera at events, I am just trying to make a
> point here!)

> Does anyone have any notions about how to disguise a camera?

Yes. Including some interesting things which have been done to
disguise video cameras, and this was when video cameras were much
larger.
cameras-msg       (32K)  1/28/06    Use of cameras in the SCA.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/UNCAT/cameras-msg.html

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas