[Ansteorra] Garb authenticity...

HE Kainin Tepesa kainintepesa at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 20 12:50:12 PDT 2006

Well said!

I fear that some of our newer players on this list may
be starting to get the impression that they should run
and hide anytime they see someone who is well dressed
heading their way. That the "period police" (I am not
of fan of calling anyone a nazi, except the Nazis -
and I certainly hate to be called such myself) are
just waiting to tear them apart when they come to
their first event.

I have been playing in the SCA since I was 15 (nearly
20 years) and in those early days (actually the
greater part of those years, until I met my lady and
she helped me to dress better) I wore some truly
horrible, shockingly inaccurate garb. Yet in all that
time, I do not recall a single person coming up to me
and giving me an unsolicited critique. I am sure that
these kinds of things do happen, I just think that it
is important that our newer players know that this is
not the norm.

Becoming more accurate in our "kit" is a personal
journey and one that we all undertake (if we are truly
honest with ourselves). Some make small steps and
others grow in leaps and bounds. Personally, I try to
improve with each new outfit, purchase for camping
equipment, etc. I have just recently learned the joys
of 100% linen in our Ansteorran heat and will
recommend it over cotton from now on for its
breathe-ability.

I see nothing wrong with gently and kindly encouraging
each other to strive for better and better in our game
(be it in our garb, service, courtesies, etc.) as long
as it is done gently, kindly and with love.

Kainin
Baron of Bonwicke