[Ansteorra] What was period broadclothe?

L T ldeerslayer at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 21 09:33:07 PDT 2006

Excellent question Your Grace,

I was speaking about the 100% cotton fabric that is labled "broadcloth" by it's manufacturers...usually 45 inches in width.

We may well be speaking of the same thing in different terms...fabric is so confusing at times because the manufacturers will use all sorts of terms that
may or may not actually describe the fabric they have for sale. Unless we
start discussing the specific structure (which gets confusing at times too)
we don't know if we are discussing the same thing.

By querying the net the first definition I get is:

broad·cloth  (brôdklôth, -klth)n.1.  A densely textured woolen cloth with a plain or twill weave and a lustrous finish.
2.  A closely woven silk, cotton, or synthetic fabric with a narrow crosswise rib.

[Middle English brode clothe, cloth woven in strips of double width : brode, broad; see  broad + clothe, cloth; see  cloth.]

There is no mention of broadcloth in "Textiles:a classification of techniques" by Annemarie Seiler-Baldinger or in "Textiles and Clothing 1150-1450" by  Elisabeth Crowfoot, et al. or in "The Weaver's Book of Fabric Design" by Janet Phillips.

Those are the books that are on my shelves and not in storage that would reference weave structures and what to call them....

This is all I can find at the time Your Grace. Maybe someone else can enlighten us further.

With respect,

LDeerSlayer

"willowdewisp at juno.com" <willowdewisp at juno.com> wrote: I was wondering what do they mean when they say broadcloth in period?
Willow