[Ansteorra] Period seam finishing...

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Sep 21 10:19:45 PDT 2006

On Sep 21, 2006, at 10:43 AM, Amanda Wallace wrote:

> My husband the early period Anlgo-Saxon/Some-where in England
> person wants
> to *gasp* make some pants. Those of you who know my husband, quit
> laughing--I did enough of that for all of us. So...whilst I know
> where to
> find the information he seeks, and will point him that way (I TOLD
> him he
> had to do his own research--I learned that from a very good friend.) I
> haven't seen anything on seam finishing, and seeing how he will be
> using
> linen or a linen-blend, and as he isn't exactly easy on clothes (as
> anyone
> who has seen him playing w/ children can attest), I would like them
> to have
> finished seams (which HE will be doing, evil evil giggle). So, if
> anyone can
> point us both in the correct direction and let loose...we can take
> it from
> there.
>
> Amanda Blackwolf
> Barony of Northkeep

Perhaps this file in the TEXTILE-ARTS section of the Florilegium
might be of use to you:
8-P-Stitches-art  (20K)  5/23/01    "Embroidery: Eight Period Stitches"
                                        by Mistress Ealasaid nic
Shuibhne.

Umm. Okay that may be more on embroidery rather than sewing stitches,
but it might be worth a look.

There is also this file:
sewing-msg        (79K)  6/18/05    Sewing ideas and stitches.

If he really wants to be ambitious, I guess he could do it with
period sewing tools:
sewing-tools-msg  (70K)  5/21/04    Medieval sewing tools, needles,
thimbles.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas