[Ansteorra] When you become an oldtimer (was: Start/end of Period)

Michael Silverhands silverhands at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 21 12:57:43 PDT 2006

On Sep 21, 2006, at 2:18 PM, James Crouchet wrote:

> Doré's rule of thumb for old timers:
>
> You are an oldtimer when you have been there for more than half.
>
> So, if your shire is 7 years old and you joined the SCA there 4 years
> ago, you are now an oldtimer in your group but not in kingdom or the
> SCA. If you joined the SCA in Ansteorra 20 years ago you are an
> oldtimer
> in the kingdom but not the SCA.
>
> Eventually there comes a time when "oldtimer" no longer refers to
> anyone
> living.
>
> Christian

Hmmm... my first event was a Yule Revel in Stargate. William of Weir
and Philippa (Pippa) Rookhaven were Baron and Baroness at the time.
I'm not sure which Yule it was, but they were Baron/ess of Stargate
from August of '83 through May of '87, so it had to be one of those.
I started actively playing two or three years after that, during
Patrick and Julia's first reign ('89). So that makes me "in" for
about 20 years and "active" for about 17 years.

A mere cub, compared to many in this august company. :-)

Being with old friends in the SCA sometimes feels like attending a
multi-class High School reunion... you may be mentor to some, but
you're still "the kid" to others, and always will be. I guess what
matters is "how old would you think you are, if you didn't know your
age?"

Michael Silverhands