[Ansteorra] cotton in period

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Sep 21 19:08:18 PDT 2006

On Sep 21, 2006, at 2:07 PM, Samuel Hudson wrote:

> I just bought some canvas type material in a blue, planning on
> using it
> to attach splints to.  Is canvas period?

Are you talking about the original canvas made from hemp fibers? Or
are you talking about cotton canvas?

Definitely yes for the first type of canvas. I have my doubts about
the second, but I can't prove it wasn't. Although I think it would
have been rather expensive and wouldn't have worked as well as hemp
canvas, particularly in wet environment, such as with sails.

I think most cotton canvas is close enough to period hemp canvas,
that it will probably make a reasonable substitute for most uses.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com