[Ansteorra] What's happening here?

Alden Drake alden_drake at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 22 08:34:49 PDT 2006

----- Original Message ----
From: L T ldeerslayer at yahoo.com

*snip*
It's a community.
*snip*

I didn't grow up in an environment that had a great sense of community, so coming into the SCA in 2000 was such an awakening...I'd almost call it a homecoming...to this wonderous group of people who are all so different, yet share a common root interest which draws us all together.  In just six years, I've seen the good, the bad, and the ugly in people and wouldn't trade any of the experiences I've had.  In such a community, you have to find a place for yourself where you find happiness and understand that there are a lot of other people out there trying to do the same thing, and that everyone will go about it in a different way.  Communities change over time too.  Shifts in trends, organizations, politics, goals, ideals, etc., all tend to cycle.  I've met people who played in the SCA way back when tell me, "It was fun back then, then it got ugly.  Since I've come back it's been fun again."  My first attempt at joining the SCA in 1998 didn't work out very well.  At the
 time, the group had different dynamics and it just didn't mesh.  I didn't give up though.  A couple years later, and relocating, I found a group at the right time, and it worked out great.  :)

HL Alden Drake