[Ansteorra] first event

Diane Maynard camelothorse at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 22 08:44:19 PDT 2006

My first experience with the SCA  was 10 years ago when I hauled and
provided eight horses and all of the saddles and equipment for a parade.  I
had just had knee surgery AND eye surgery ( I do not recommend two surgeries
at the same time---extremely painful).  The Lady that talked me into helping
also wanted me to ride with the group side-saddle and that meant I had to
quickly sew up a gown.  I had 48 hours to get everything ready.  After
hauling horses, saddling everyone's mount, riding the parade, unsaddling,
watering, and reloading to go home----WITH NO HELP FROM ANY OF THE SCA
MEMBERS---I actually had a couple of riders complain about their horse and
several SCA ladies comment that my gown was NOT period correct.   Of course
it was not.  I was not a member at this time and was not even thinking about
joining.  I was just doing a friend a favor.  Actually, having just had eye
surgery, I was not allowed to drive and could not even see the needle on my
sewing machine.  It was a miracle that I managed to sew at all.  My husband
at the time (we are no longer married) had to drive my rig to the parade
site and was so furious at the lack of help and the rudeness that he refused
to ever go to an SCA event.  This was all done BEFORE I ever became a member
BUT, I had met several people that I liked and ignored the ones that were
rude.  For me, it was a new and hopefully FUN way of playing with my horses
instead of the show circuit.

My first actual event was at Ravensfort just a couple of weeks later.   My
same "friend" that had talked me into the parade, gave me some advice on
what I needed in the way of clothes so I would be "prepared" for the entire
weekend.  She advised me that I needed at least three outfits to get through
a weekend event and that my horse needed to be correctly turned out in
barding also.  This meant that on top of working full time, I had to quickly
make garb.    I showed up at my first event with five gowns and full barding
for my horse.   No one ever mentioned a HOPITALER or the fact that there is
LOANER GARB available for newbies !!!!   That information would have helped
me tremendously.  Those who were there at the event I am sure will remember
that awful night.   My same friend was giving me directions.  That meant we
got lost and were driving into camp VERY late at night with the horse
trailer. (I have since learned not to ever follow her directions).  Making
the turn into the Ravensfort site with a gooseneck horse trailer is tricky
at night when you cannot see where you are going and the wheels of the rig
slipped off of the cattle guard.  I was tired from staying up an sewing to
get ready, mad at my friend for her terrible directions and lack of
preparations that had caused us to be late, and horrified that we had to
wake so many in camp to get the rig free but, the gentlemen were GRACIOUS
and WONDERFULL.  Two hours later and very muddy, they got the trailer tire
propped up enough to go forward and we did finally get on site.  I wanted to
immediately go home but, was too tired to make the drive.  By morning light,
everything looked a little better.  EVERYONE at the event was extremely
nice, helpful and encouraging.  I was made to feel so welcome, that I had a
great time and all of the problems of getting there faded away. (in spite of
getting a severe case of poison ivy)   My sincere THANK YOU to the Barony of
Ravensfort.

I guess my traumatic beginnings in the SCA have effected how I try to deal
with newcomers.  I really want others to have a little easier time and to
know that they do not have to come up with everything at once.   I try to
always have extra garb to loan (my once neat house is now cluttered with
material, sewing machines and period clothing), extra horses and, even
though I normally go to events solo, I always carry enough feast gear for 6
(perhaps I have a tendency for overkill--LOL).  There are always two large
T-tunics and a belt with me in case someone needs them.  IMHO, a large
belted T-tunic can get any one through an event.  Through the years I have
tried to improve my gowns, become more authentic and enter A&S but, I do
this for me.  I am happy to help (if I can) others with becoming more
authentic but, do not feel the need for everyone to make the same effort I
do.  I am pleased with the progress I have made but, still have a LONG way
to go.  Even after 10 years, I still feel like a newbie.  The wonderful
thing about the SCA is that there is ALWAYS something else to learn and try.
Perhaps I can finally find the time to try Rapier !  (I have had my
equipment for years and not been able to get started----hint hint to you
rapier guys)

My apologies for this long post.  I normally just lurk but, this thread
rings close to my heart.  It can be VERY intimidating going to your first
few events and first impressions can last a long time.   We want them to be
good ones.   I want others starting with the SCA to feel WELCOME and know
that it is O.K. to make mistakes.   Hopefully, there will be many years to
learn and have fun with us.

Gwenhavre Cordelia Maynard