[Ansteorra] What's happening here?

Celeste Shelton teacherceleste at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 24 09:36:19 PDT 2006

> Why?  Why is "playing for love" superior?> > This is an honest question.> > JP

I actually believe that this is a valid question.  And to be honest with you, the only answer that I have been able to give myself is that if you play for the love of the game, you are rewarded (get cookies) every time you do something you wanted to do.  You are rewarded by the accomplishment of finishing a piece of art, or when you learn a new shot, or organize another class.  You are happy that you marshalled all day so that others could get "whacked" and you had something to keep you involved.  But if you only play for the rewards, they are few and far between.  In my 16 years of experience, it has been VERY rare for someone to get more than one award every two or three years (often longer I know).  You are depending on someone else's recognition to say that you are doing something worthwhile.

Now don't get me wrong, I love the validation of others.  I know very few people who truly and honestly don't care what others think about them.  But many of us receive that validation every time we go to an event and someone invites us to sit under their pavillion to say hi and share the shade.  Or each time someone says thank you for teaching, waterbearing, heralding, whatever.

Of course, my answer to you has been what I feel.  Only my opinion.  And in fact, if someone is doing the work just for the awards, THANK YOU for doing the work.  Just don't be sad or hurt if you wanted an award and you "just" get a thank you from me.  :)

Saundra

The statement above is only a personal opinion and does not reflect the opinions of others living or dead.  All names have been changed to protect the innocent.  :)