[Ansteorra] Ansteorran History "Did You Know?"

Chris Zakes dontivar at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 04:17:55 PDT 2006

At 05:53 PM 9/25/2006, you wrote:

>Since we seem to be talking about history and facts from ages past I
>though I would start an email called "Did You Know".  I have put some
>interesting and obscure items here but I do expect the list to grow
>as others add to it.
>
>Burke
>
>Did you know that:
>The original name for Wiesenfeuer was Ebenfeuer which means Black Fire.
>That the original name for Mooneschadowe was "Moonshadow, Land of the
>Crying Wind" (rejected by the heralds as it had to many letters)
>Currently Oklahoma is the only state in the SCA that has no shire in it.
>Stargate was never a shire.
>Steppes is the only Ansteorran group to have an officially recognized
>AOA level shire award (the Tread of the Steppes).
>Coin of the realm (foil covered chocolate coins) was established
>during Jan's reign.
>Ansteorra once had a war over an anvil.
>Ansteorra once had a war over mustaches.
>Ansteorra once had a war over cookies.
>Ansteorra has fought wars with all of its neighbors except Calontir.
>Ansteorra is the only Kingdom in the SCA to have had a Queen by Right of Arms.
>The Sun at the base of the Ansteorran arms is the Sun of Atenveldt.
>

>add more here.....

Ansteorra's first intra-kingdom war was between Bjornsborg and Namron
(Baron Bjorn of Namron decided that since Bjornsborg was *obviously*
named after him, they should pay him tribute--never mind the fact
that Bjornsborg had been around for a couple of years before Bjorn
even joined the SCA. <G>)
Bryn Gwlad was originally called Paiscumbre (no, I don't know what it
means or why it was changed--that was before I lived here.)
Fifteen or twenty Ansteorrans were at the first Burro Creek War (the
precursor to Estrella War) in February of AS 13 (1979.)
The first Gulf War was fought in June. It included a particularly
awful woods battle.
Not only was the Order of the Cavalier/White Scarf the first rapier
award in the SCA, it was created six months *before* the Board of
Directors officially recognized rapier fighting as an ancillary
activity of the Society.

         -Tivar Moondragon