[Ansteorra] Extra Rs and other naming oddities

Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace sirlyonel at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 26 07:15:46 PDT 2006

Salut cozyns,

So the extra R in Ansteorra was initially a typo?

Somehow, that doesn't surprise me. SCA kingdom names certainly have a
checkered past. The initial three are simple enough: East, West, and Middle.
I'm glad they stopped after the first three. I wouldn't want to be a citizen
of a kingdom named South Central.

Atlantia and Trimaris are rational enough. Artemisia is the name of a plant
indigenous to that region (although I remember some commenting herald or
other arguing that it was "clearly" an attempt to sneak in a deistic
reference).

Caid and Atenveldt have always seemed particularly dorky to me. Caid is
named for the first initials of four of its original groups (Calafia, Angels
and I don't know the other two). Atenveldt is a linguistic mash-up that was
supposed to mean "Land of the Sun" but actually translates from the Egyptian
and Dutch as "Sun-God Field." I lived in Atenveldt, incidentally, and never
met any Dutch Egyptians.

En Lyonel