[Ansteorra] Odd question reguarding persona development

Susan Hill sueorintx at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 26 17:48:20 PDT 2006

Susan,

My understanding is that we are not supposed to be anyone that really
existed in history, but you can certainly have some fun while figuring out
who you are and where you are from.

While researching my name, I knew that I wanted Grey in the last name and
decided to research the name de Grey. My personna is late 12th century Anglo
Saxon/Norman. I found documentation for my name in Walter de Grey who was
Archbishop of York in the early 13th century. I decided to do a little
further research on the de Grey family and was amazed at the connections and
impressive resumes of some of the family members. My 'cousins' were very
highly placed in many cases, both within the nobility and the church.  The
also got into a bit of mischief along the way. I can also account among my
distant 'cousins', one William, also called the Conquerer or the Bastard,
depending on which point of view you choose to take. I haven't attempted to
actually insert my immediate 'family' into the de Grai/de Grey/de Gray
family tree, but I know approximately where it fits in. All of the members
of my nuclear family are made up, as are the next ring of relations, however
one of my brothers has had the sponsorship of a relative in the church in
taking holy vows, himself.

If you can't or aren't interested in finding a family to 'fit into,' have
fun making up your own. No one is going to check your geneology. There were
enough offspring on both sides of the sheets in nobility that you can kind
of create a relationship and not be too far from the tree sometimes.

If you prefer, make up somebody completely. It's up to you. Just have fun
doing it.

Lyneya de Grey