[Ansteorra] history of SCA placenames - why the second "r"

Chris Zakes dontivar at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 07:01:54 PDT 2006

At 01:57 PM 9/26/2006, you wrote:
> >Jay Yeates jyeates at realtime.net
> >...still have some old paperwork ???) - when able, asked him to drag out
> >(after
> >he gets unpacked and beter settled in .. just moved into a new place)
> >anything related to the inquisition & banishings in his files to check the
> >spellings (maybe able to better tie down the changes to exactly who & when
>.>. plus copies for the house archives would be good).
>
>Please keep us apprised.  I know I am very interested.
>
>Marc/Diarmaid

I did some digging into our old "SCA newsletters" boxes. (Luckily, we
had a major garage cleanup and reorganization a couple of years ago,
so the old SCA papers are now better organized and stored in plastic
rather than cardboard, which keeps the bugs from eating them.) In the
envelope labelled "Region/Principality of Ansteorra" we have quite a
few copies of the "Black Star".

The oldest is dated July AS 12 (which would have been 1977) it says
"Newsletter for the region of Ansteorra, Lady Leah Kasmira of
Natterhelm, Chronicler." That spelling is maintained through
November. I don't have a December or January issue, but the February
issue has the name changed to "Sable Star" although it's still using
the Ansteorra spelling.

The March AS 12 (1978) issue contains the following note: "A note to
all within the principality who might have been as confused as I have
been. I have it recently from three informed sources that that the
correct spelling is ANSTEORA, with only one "R" not two. So, please
accept my apologies for past errors. Vyvian" (Vyvian of Serwood was
Chronicler at that time.) Nevertheless, there is a mix of both
spellings in this issue. The April issue is missing, but May is still
using Ansteorra rather extensively.

June is missing, July actually says Ansteora on the cover for the
first time but also contains the following: "A Matter of Orthography.
In the matter of the correct spelling of the name of our
Principality, I prefer the spelling 'Ansteorra.' Quite frankly, in my
opinion two r's make it a better looking word. As to which is
correct, if you will check Webster's for the derivation of the word
'star', you will find that it is from the Anglo-Saxon word which
Webster's spells 'steorra' (N.B. two r's). Further, on the name and
device submission forms which were sent to Kingdom Herald last
summer, the name is spelled 'Ansteorra.' Does anyone care to comment
further?  -Melusine Whitcroft"

The August AS 13 (1978) issue continues to use Ansteora, but
September changes the newsletter name back to "Black Star" and
returns to the Ansteorran spelling. It's been that way ever since.

         -Tivar Moondragon