[Ansteorra] Motivations (was: Love and recognition)

L T ldeerslayer at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 27 11:49:59 PDT 2006

JP,

I don't think I've told you recently how much

 !!!!!YOU ROCK!!!!!

I owe you at least one BIG HUG!

See you and your lady this weekend,

LDeerSlayer

Jean Paul de Sens <jeanpauldesens at gmail.com> wrote: I was using dictionary.coms :

"Having no regard to self; unselfish. "

I'm certain that most of the service type work that people do in the SCA
comes down to this root:

1) The SCA is fun for me.
2) The SCA needs people to do work to continue.
3) I am willing to do #2 to preserve and further #1

My selfishness has a long view, and very much subscribes to the "if you do good for and to others, it comes back to you."  If however, I found that
doing good to/for others didn't have that result, i.e. it harmed me, I would

a) self-examing to make sure I was really "doing good" or perhaps I was just perceiving it.
or
b) figure out a more beneficial course of action.

Many people in our group, whether consciously or un, subscribe to similar
philosophies, or a philosophy similar enough that their actions are the
same.  When our group has a large work chore to do, we all pitch in to get it done quickly, because

a) what benefits the group benefits the individual and
b) we'd hope the group will do the same for us in the future.
c) sooner your friend is done working, the sooner the two of you can go get a beer and tell stories :)

To go back to the philosophy, I'm not sure a person would ever commit an action that was totally selfless, i.e. of no, zero, zilch, nada, potential
benefit to the committer.

I'll fully willing to believe that many people have committed acts that were selfless (or even had negative potential benefit) to the committers, but not on purpose :)

JP

--
I want to fight and to strive, to vie with my opponents and friends, and at
the end of the day cry out "ENOUGH!!! For I can lift my arms no longer"

That is what is good in life.