[Ansteorra] Wanting Awards & Persona

Donnchadh Beag mac Griogair donnchadh at cornelius.norman.ok.us
Thu Sep 28 21:08:26 PDT 2006

Jean Paul de Sens wrote:
> Wow.  That was a very effective and concise summary of our culture Robert,
> and the effect of conditioning via stories.   We do seem (in general) to be
> the "no I don't want it/(but secretly yes I do)" in modern society.
>
> Otoh, red belts, scarfs, yellow, and green belts are all a blatant statement
> of "I would like to be X someday", but it doesn't bother us...
>
> how come?
>
> JP

The big difference I see is between the thoughts of "I hope that one day
I will be worthy of this honor, and I am willing to work to better
myself in that aim." and "I think that I am already worthy of this honor
and why hasn't anyone noticed."

The first attitude is the one I think most squires, cadets, apprentices,
and protégés have, and the focus is on striving to make one's self
better.  This is a good thing and should be encouraged.

The second attitude is that there is no need for improvement and that
the honor is owed to the person.  This is what turns most of us off, and
that award will probably be a long time coming, if ever.

Donnchadh