[Ansteorra] shineing armor

mikea mikea at mikea.ath.cx
Fri Sep 29 07:07:45 PDT 2006

On Fri, Sep 29, 2006 at 06:59:59AM -0700, Keally Howell/Colleen O'Kelly wrote:
> john fry <jefisme03 at gmail.com> wrote:  ok guys i have a tottally plausable idea that is completely feasable ok so
: > what we need to do is pool our money togather and buy a solid 24k gold suit
: > of armor so that way i can impress the fairer gender (oh and we should also
: > find a pure white horse for effect) what do you guys think i figure im on a
: > budget so we would have to inlay with emeralds rather than daimonds.

> Emeralds don't look good in gold settings.

"De gustibus non disputandum est."

I have no objection to emeralds in gold-colored settings at all, and
one of the most beautiful (IMHO) rings I've ever seen is a large
(synthetic, but you can't tell by looking) emerald in a gold setting.

But the 24k gold will be either *FAR* too heavy, or *FAR* too soft to
offer good protection. Better a hard gold-something alloy. Perhaps
gold-platinum or gold-iridium, with just enough copper to restore the
gold color.

--
Mike Andrews        /   Michael Fenwick    Barony of Namron, Ansteorra
mikea at mikea.ath.cx  /   Amateur Extra radio operator W5EGO